Are you starting to see signs of aging on your skin? Hoping to reverse the damage but wondering is it too late? Well the good news is that as long as you are alive, it’s never too late. While you probably cannot fully reclaim the complexion you had in your teenage years, you can certainly reveal younger looking skin.
Follow our simple suggestions below, and I am sure if you do them all or even most of them consistently, you will start to see visibly younger looking skin within a couple weeks. And, if you do only one consistently, your skin will still be looking younger in the years to come.
16 simple, actionable habits that help stop your skin from aging
1. Avoid repeating the same facial expressions over and over
- When you contract the same muscles repeatedly on a regular basis, lines can become more permanent.
2. If a skincare product causes stinging or burning, stop using it!
- Irritation causes your skin to look older.
3. Always protect yourself from the sun
- You may not notice the benefit right away, but your skin will definitely show its thank in years to come. Why is this so important? Because the suns ultraviolet light has the power to cause major skin damage. Penetration of UVA rays cause a breakdown of collagen, resulting in formation of wrinkles, sagging skin, and discoloration.
- Whether you’re a sun lover or not, it’s equally essential that you stay protected every single day. There are a myriad of ways - stay in in the shade (if possible), wear sunglasses with UV protection, wear sun-protecting clothing, and apply sunscreen to all exposed areas of your face and body.
- Protect vigilantly, and you’ll be so glad you did for years to come. If you don’t do this, you’ll most likely be looking in the mirror wishing that you had.
4. Use moisturizer!
- While moisturizers are not magical and cannot actually prevent wrinkles and lines from forming in the first place, they can effectively hide them! In fact, applying a good moisturizer can make your skin look visibly younger almost instantly. That’s because the moisturizer temporarily plumps the skin, and locks water in the cells.
- Moisturizing daily is also helpful to maintain your skin's moisture barrier and to prevent environmental damage to your skin.
5. Exercise on a regular basis, every day if possible
- Physical exercise boosts circulation, delivering oxygen and nutrition to the skin. This in turn promotes collagen production and heathy formation of new skin cells. Your skin will look rejuvenated as a result.
- Help prevent post-workout acne by gently cleansing prior to working out. This will help avoid excessive buildup of sweat, oil, dirt, which can all clog your pores before you’re even finished with your workout. This especially important for your face, if you wear makeup.
- After you workout, you may have noticed that your skin becomes a bit red, which is a good sign as it means your skin is trying to detoxify and cool down (a nice benefit of working out). A nice splash of cool water will reduce redness, and you then you should thoroughly cleanse your skin with a small amount of gentle cleanser to keep your pores clean and open.
- Since your skin can be quite sensitive and flushed after a workout, you may want to avoid other products, like toners, serums and exfoliators as they may throw off your skin’s biochemistry, causing an irritation or outbreak. Use a soothing moisturizer that is free of irritants, such as artificial fragrances.
7. Use an LED Light Therapy Mask
- Red light therapy, in particular, can be quite effective to help boost collagen production, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, and help the skin on your face and neck look visibly younger and more radiant.
- Make sure to your mask consistently for best results. You can splurge for a famous name brand, or opt for our picks, which have quite good reviews also: LED Light Therapy Mask or Wireless LED Light Therapy Shield.
- Micro-current facials tighten and smooth the skin by stimulating the muscles and increasing cellular activity. They can be wonderfully effective for reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- You can book a treatment with you esthetician or use a micro-current facial device at home such as our Upgraded Mini Facial Toning Device or our 5 in 1 Facial Rejuvenation Beauty Device.
9. Don’t smoke
- Smoking causes your skin to age significantly faster and causes wrinkles and dullness. If you currently smoke, try to quit.
10. Avoid drinking alcohol
- Alchohol can dehydrate and damage your skin, causing you you appear much older than you are.
11. Eat a healthy diet
- The body’s visible appearance is largely impacted by what you put into it.
- Sugar and refined carbohydrates can make your skin age faster. Instead go for foods that nourish the skin, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, especially those high in vitamin C and antioxidants. It’s also helpful to consume more lean protein such as beans and legumes.
- You don’t need to perfect, just eat what you like but make modifications whenever you can.
12. Take Supplements if Desired
- According to some studies, supplements containing specific substances such as collegan, curcumin, CoQ10, crocin, nicotinamide mononucleotide, and fesitin, have been shown to slow aging of the body, including the skin.
- You also might consider a supplement such as flaxseed or fish oil as it can replenish lipids, increasing moisture and reducing inflammation.
- It is advisable to consult with a doctor before taking a new supplement.
13. Drink plenty of water
- Be consistent, and drink at least eight to ten 8 oz. glasses everyday.
- Read our article here about the amazing benefits of drinking water for your skin, including many anti-aging benefits.
14. Use an Eye Mask
- Since the skin around your eyes is thinner than on the rest of your face, it usually shows signs of aging first.
- Even if you are still young, using an eye mask can help prevent the signs of aging for the future.
15. Get enough sleep
- Ideally, you should get 7 - 9 hours of quality sleep every night. If you get less than 6 hours it is likely your skin will age more quickly.
- Sleep deprivation is associated with the fundamental aspects of skin’s aging process. It causes increased susceptibility to the formation of wrinkles and lines, uneven pigmentation and sagging.
- One study showed that women who did not get adequate sleep demonstrated clear signs of premature skin aging as well as a decreased ability to recover from exposure to the sun. If you start sleeping 1-2 hours longer everyday you will likely see visible benefits in your skin with a week.
- If you don’t get enough enough sleep one day, try to make up for it the next, however the the amount of sleep lost and recovered will not necessarily be the same.
- Tip: Sleeping naked has been shown to improve the quality of sleep, so it would make sense that sleeping naked will help your skin look younger!
- Stress causes the skin to age. The stress hormone cortisol can can a breakdown of collagen and reduced skin elasticity. Chronic stress can also lead to inflammation and premature wrinkles.
- Better to take some deep breaths, and remember that relaxing now can help you look younger later.